Workshop allow you to build a frame over a weekend. Run over a weekend we also offer additional top up days also available to help with finishing and fitting components. The course initially focusing on geometry and jig set up right through to finishing and fitting parts and riding away. Workshop are maximum of 4 people at a time, our house bamboo beer is supplied at the end of each day!
Below is a list of the workshop options. Please note: For two day workshop we provide a complete finishing guide to help you fitting up at home.
Frame building workshop
About: If building a bicycle frame is on your ‘must do’ list a bamboo frame is certainly a good place to start. As a extremely versatile materials it’s great to work and can create a incredible bicycle. Walk away with a beautiful frame that you will be proud of for the rest of your life, made with your own hands.
The workshop course are designed to allow people to be as creative as they like with the support of experienced frame builders.
How much is the course?
A 2 –day course costs £490.00 (excl VAT) which includes materials, a £150.00 non-refundable deposit is required upon booking to secure your place on a course.
The course is run with a maximum of 4 participants.
What does the course involve
- Health and Safety in the workshop.
- A custom frame design.
- Parts consultation and selection.
- Jig set-up and demonstration.
- Selecting your own bamboo tubing.
- Use of all tools needed for the frame build.
- Cutting and tube mitre.
- Step by step demos of each stage.
- Creating flax fibre lugs and use of composites.
- Finishing techniques and matching component compatibility.
- Unlimited tea, coffee and biscuits plus our bamboo beer
- You will take away the frame you have built.
- For further details, to book or course or check availability email
Bamboo frames can be finished in many different ways. They can be left natural, stained or painted. We have all the equipment in house to make your frame look unique.
This can be done in our workshop or we can provide you with a manual and hints and tips to get the perfect results at home.
How much is the add-on?
£120.00 (excl VAT) for the finishing process which included all the tools paints etc.
- Sanding equipment
- Paints and wood stain
- Directions and advice
Optional Component Fitting
Once your frame has been finished we appreciate that it is important to fit all your components. We offer a 1/1 session assisted session. By the end of the session you’re understand how to set up all the gears and much more.
How much is the add-on?
£80.00 (excl VAT) per session.
The workshop FAQ below explain some key questions for more details, Please view our FAQ page.
What style of frame can you build
You can build any style of frame within reason! we’ve built the following bikes, Road, Hybrid, Track, Fat, MTB, Tandem, Cyclocross, Electric, Boat, and quite a few other variations!
Can I fit racks, mudguards, bottle cages?
Yes, all our frames can be fitted with most accessaries. Over the years we have developed lots of techniques and workaround that make most metal/carbon frame com compatible with bamboo.
Can I sign up for a 2 day workshop and then come back over evenings or another day.
We run evening and alternative weekend session for finishing your frame. Allowing people to finish their frames at a time that suits them.
How do I book a course
Our course are run once a month. If you e-mail us we can let you know what availability we have. We require a £150.00 deposit to hold your place
What about components?
Customers can either use a donor bike or purchase new or used parts. We provide a parts service and can supply most manufactures. We also offer a wheel building service for £20.00 per wheel.
What our customers say
- I have been really pushing it, this is Downhill territory which is as punishing as it gets and the bike has performed well beyond my expectations, its worth it just for the the oh you are on a fat bike, what make is it, oh you made it! I am genuinely really properly impressed with what its done! Iain, Weekend Workshop.
- Really enjoyed the workshop, the small group, the social context, the positive atmosphere and the high level of knowledge from James and Emmanuelle. Mats Stendtrom, Sweden
- In a society where we spend most of our lives hunched over a computer screen, it was wonderful to have the opportunity to be creative, use my hands, and build a one-off, bespoke product that I can cycle around London. Nevermind one that suits my body-type and personality far more than anything I've ever seen in a typical bike shop. Claire Smith, London
- At the end of the workshop, each bike reflected the personality of whoever had made it. Some were lean and sporty. Others were pristine, methodically made and expertly finished. My bike is charmingly flawed, clearly the work of someone who charges into things without thinking them through and then hopes for the best. The bike is me. I don’t think I could love it any more than I do. Stuart Heritage – Guardian
- They also cycle well. I take James's bike for a spin and the ride is light, stiff and smooth thanks to bamboo's ability to dampen vibration. Impressive, considering I target every pothole - James Stewart – Guardian
- workshop this weekend – very well set-up and great fun! Tim - Weekend WorkshopGreat Fun
- I’ve been riding it for two months now and I’ve lost count of the times strangers have asked me about it. I’ll admit to being terrified the first time I went down a steep hill, but the bamboo tubes and my handiwork with the glue remain sound. The bike is light and flexible and rides really well. Rob Penn – Author of All about the Bike – FT.
- I thought the whole process and workshop was great experience and friendly/personal touch.The teams way of working with people and approach, teaching from engineering background was really good...I really got a lot out of – and opened my mind to new ideas...I learned a lot about bicycle building. James Roberts - Weekend Workshop
- I wanted to say many thanks for the workshop last weekend. I really appreciate the time, advice, help and chat over the weekend .. and, even though I like completing things, I look forward to the next steps of finishing the frame, building the bike, adjusting it I and then riding it. I liked the balance you struck between helping and leaving us to get on: I liked how sometimes it was all about the bike and other times it was just about other things: with good food and music thrown in. Aidan - Weekend Workshop
- Despite never having worked on bikes let alone build a bike! I never imaged I could build my own! The workshop was good fun and I learnt some useful skills. For someone that works behind a desk it was great to be using my hands! I've been riding the bike to work everyday. It's fast and lightweight, perfect for my daily commute Imogen Edmonds - Weekend Workshop
- It's unflippinbelievably good! Karl McCracken - Home build kit builder
- As the course went along. I started off thinking the finished thing should be sanded, polished and seamless. But as I got into the process of making it, I came to love its bulbous joints and wonky brake bridge. I carefully selected those tubes. I lovingly wrapped those joints. I didn't want to hide the imperfections – to me, they're beautiful....A masterpiece. A bit rough around the joins, but an incredibly satisfying masterpiece. Derren Kisner Weekend Workshop
- Being very new to the bike world, I was fairly nervous about going about building a bike from scratch, but I needn’t have been. The workshop had a really relaxed atmosphere but at the same time was clearly and well structured and there was help at every step of the way if it was needed. The fact that we could work at our own pace and problem-solve as we went really helped me to get a better understanding of what I was doing during the build and has given me an even greater appreciation for the finished bike.There was really helpful correspondence before and after the build with guidance on components and parts and any other of my weird questions were answered too.I have come out with a 100% unique bike which is brilliant to ride and beautiful to look at too!Thank you Bamboo Bicycle Club!William, Fine Art Student.
- Thanks for a great weekend. Really enjoyed it a lot. Still picking the glue off my arms. It's a great fun bike to ride, found my legs are a blur at 26 mph! Stuart - Weekend Workshop